Sukamade Beach, Banyuwangi, East Java
Sukamade Beach, Banyuwangi, East Java Island
Sukamade Beach, Banyuwangi located about 97 km to southwest of Banyuwangi City. It is natural and quiet, beautiful place. The Dutch discovered it in 1927. Sukamade Beach is one of the conservation tourism object under the government preserved.
Sukamade beach are has 50,000 hectare wide in Meru Betiri National Park. Along the way to Sukamade tourism, The visitors can stop at the beautiful place of Rajegwesi, Teluk Hijau a fantastic green bay with its beautiful cliff around. A dawn excursion to see animals grassing on the savannah is also impressing.
Turtle exploration at Sukamade Beach Bayuwangi
Sukamade Beach East Java with 1200 hectare consist of an active plantation that produces rubber, coffee and cacao, this area is east Java Natural Resource Conservation which is in charge of the turtle’s perpetuation. A night adventure is an unforgettable trip. You will guided by a natural resource to find the turtle sea come to a shore to lay eggs. You can see a female turtle lays more than one hundred eggs on the sandy beach. The female turtles usually start landing at 7:30 PM and return to the sea at 12:00PM. November to March is the peak season for laying eggs.
Sukamade beach almost every night of the year, turtles appear to lay eggs. It is clearly a globally important site and one which protects 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by the over-worked park rangers. Some eggs are taken by the rangers to protect them from predators, both human and other animals. These turtle layed its eggs in the safety of the park hatchery and the youngsters release to the ocean on the very beach from where the eggs were laid. There are similar beaches within the park boundary but it seems to be “Sukamade” that the turtles prefer.
The stability of Sukamade turtle helps a careful system of tagging and monitoring, as well as the use of the special hatcheries. Watching these giant creatures emerge from the surf and struggle-up the beach to lay their eggs on a moonlit night is a unique and unforgettable experience, and one which is certain to ensure Sukamade’s ever-growing profile. This is certainly off the beaten track and requires some effort to reach but it is very worthwhile indeed.
How to get the Sukamade Beach
Sukamade Beach can reached from Banyuwangi city to the northwest or from Jember to the north-east. The journey to the Sukamade Beach need the hardtop vehicle, and hire the local ranger for Information and find the turtle location. The Jeep 4 WD in Banyuwangi with is certainly the most comfortable way. The roads are very rough and several rivers need crossing via fords (there are no bridges) a regular van very worried crossing to this beach.
After you get the Sukamade area , You should find an accommodation around Sukamade and the only one place only available a homestay to stay 1 night, in order to be easy for the Turtle exploration. Most tourists start their trip from Banyuwangi, due to has nearer location. the trip need 4 hours including cross the river.
Detail itinerary 2 Days and 1 Night Sukamade Beach tour
Day 1 : Banyuwangi Ketapang harbour – Kalibaru – Meru Betiri National Park
- Pick you up by AC (air conditioned) van at Banyuwangi Ketapang harbor or Kalibaru (train station, Bali Airport, Hotel) then take you to Meru Betiri National Park with jeep through plantations and tropical rainforest. On the way stop at pantai panjang beach, then stop at the gate of Meru Betiri National Park, continue by jeep to Rajekwesi fishermen village (500 – 750 m). Having Lunch and rests on Rajekwesi food stall (included picnic lunch box).
- Continue the trip to the homestay ( the most difficult one, four wheel drive vehicle mostly recommended), and stop at Teluk Damai (literally translated means “PEACE BAY”). Upon arrival in Sarongan village, you will be crossing the biggest plantation of coffee, cocoa, rubber (the crops are can be seen on the way to sukamade) in East Java and continue visit the plantation village (Afdeling).
- Arrive at your homestay, take a shower, rest until dinner time. It’s time to recharge your camera and handycam battery, starting 8 pm there is no electricity in the guesthouse. At 6.30 pm dinner in the homestay (included).
- After dinner, proceed to the Sukamade beach to withness the green turtle lying down his hundreds eggs (sightings are not guaranteed). Possibility to visit the Turtle hatchery or Park Ranger Office (possible to see the turtle hatchlings all the time of year).
- Sitting on the beach wait for the signals from park ranger who search for the turtle (Not allowed to smoke, turn on the flashlight, loud talking or making any loud noises. If we are lucky to find the turtle and watch the wonderful processing of laying eggs, we go back to guest house and overnight in Sukamade guesthouse.
Day 2 : Sukamade Beach – Kalibaru / Banyuwangi / Ketapang harbour
- After breakfast, depart to bring baby turtle from turtle hatchery to the beach, then releasing baby turtle to Indian ocean (subject to seasson and ranger’s schedule). Afterward drive back to Banyuwangi district. Transfer to Kalibaru village, Banyuwangi, Ketapang harbour.
Note : Possibility to change program itinerary, If you have other necessaries
- Private jeep 4×4 wheel drive
- Local driver with English speaking
- Local ranger with English speaks
- 1 night at homestay
- Meals for lunch, breakfast, and dinner
- Entrance fee
- Daily mineral drinks
- Personal expenses
- Personal insurances
East Java Island tour package from Surabaya, Malang, Banyuwangi :
- Trip to Sukamade Beach from Banyuwangi
- Sukamade Beach, Ijen Crater Tour 3 Days
- Blue Flame Ijen Crater, Sukamade, Mount Bromo Tour 4 Days
Before You enjoy East Java Island tour package to the Sukamade Beach Banyuwangi, You must bring jacket, headlamp, mineral drinks, mosquito repellent lotion, head cover, and other personal tools, In order You can make adaptation during enjoy the Sukamade beach tour.